Monday, July 13, 2009

Can you write freelance graphic design work off of your taxes?

I am a college student doing freelance graphic design work on the side. I just completed a job with a businessman who I hope to turn into a repeat client but - he doesn't like that he has to pay me in cash and that he cannot write this off on his taxes. How can he continue to pay me in cash, and write off this expense?

Can you write freelance graphic design work off of your taxes?
He can write it off as a business expense...the difficulty will be in proving it should he ever need to do so. If you have an e-mail trail or you give him invoices marked paid, that would help his record keeping.
Reply:I am a freelance graphic artist and business owner. I also coach freelance artists and help them to create a full time income as a freelancer.





Yes he can. All you have to do is write him up an invoice with all your contact info, the project name and the work. This is proof for him of payment, and IRS can contact you if he gets checked as proof of payment.


Another option is to accept checks from him and deposit them in your checking account.


No comments:

Post a Comment