Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Is it possible to sublimate a design to a mug that is purely cooked clay w/o glaze?

Thanks to Willy for some answers. I know a bit of sublimation but I have not seen a design sublimated to a mug made of clay w/o glaze or to a clay tile w/o glaze. It is possible? Do I need to use some kind of coating spray like polymers?

Is it possible to sublimate a design to a mug that is purely cooked clay w/o glaze?
You can't use a mug to hold liquids unless it has a glaze which has been fired on in a kiln. It won't be waterproof, and also the glaze protects you from ingredients in the clay which might be harmful. I am guessing English is not your first language as I have never heard the word 'sublimation' used in connection with ceramics.
Reply:You have to glaze it even if it is just a clear matte Glaze


hears a helpful link http://www.baileypottery.com/glazes/amac...





that site has other stuff to at rather descent prices, I use them for a few things.

garden furniture

1 comment:

  1. The mug will need to be coated with a hard polyer coating that is free of lead. I recommend Conde Systems at www.conde.com

    They have a very large selection of sublimation products.

    ReplyDelete