Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Does anyone know how to start an interior design business?

Here's the details. Everyone that see's my home raves about my decorating and tells me I should be a designer. Thats fine and sounds very interesting to me, but I have no formal education in interior design. There is not a single college that offers these types of programs in my area and my husband is military, so I cannot move to attend college. I was wondering if it's possible to start a decorating service that just advices clients and helps them with their redecoration. Rather than completely doing the job for them and charging them some sort of insane fee. I want to give people ideas and then help them do that. Like painting etc. And make it very affordable also. Would anyone have any advice on how I should go about this?

Does anyone know how to start an interior design business?
First of all, DON'T call it an interior DESIGN business, because you WILL need a degree, and possibly a license, for this. A DECORATING business should be easy enough to start without a degree-as long as you are just advising on paint colors, accessories, maybe some drapes etc. You'll get some flack from designers in the area but they'll get over it (designers can be snobs because they did go to school for a long time and have spent a lot of time and money on their degree).





Get some books on starting your own business and go for it! The hardest part will be finding your clients.





Good luck!
Reply:1st do you have a degree? if so then go to the SBA(small business administration and they have booklets that will help you get started. there also are books at the libaray that can give you a format for abusiness plan. you will need a business plan to get a loan or grants. Check out grants if you have a degree, they don't have to be paid back. I found this book very helpful but every state has different statues and laws so thos to will need to be checked out. BizPlanBuilder by JIAN Tools For Sale, INC this book comes with a disk for the forms and is very easy read. If you are not degreed then that is where you start and get a part time job as an apprentice with a local company and learn everything you see and here.


No comments:

Post a Comment