Monday, July 13, 2009

Difference between Computer Arts: New Media and Graphic Design at Academy of Art University?

I'm planning on going to the Academy of Art University in SF, but I'm stuck between whether I should take Computer Arts: New Media or Graphic Design. Could someone please tell me the difference? Also, if I do take Computer Arts:New Media, what type of career opportunities are there? I know obviously if I take Graphic Design, I become a Graphic Designer, am I right? Please help!

Difference between Computer Arts: New Media and Graphic Design at Academy of Art University?
Hello! I'm a student at AAU and here's about as much as I know:





New Media is part of the Computer Arts school, so you're going to learn more about web design and web graphics. You'll probably learn programs like Photoshop, Flash, After Effects Fireworks, Dreamweaver, etc. and probably some basic HTML, CSS, etc.





Graphic Design is more traditional arts based, where you'll learn the principals of design and stuff like typology, calligraphy, print and package design.





You can always change your major if you end up liking one more than the other. You can probably even float between the two and still be a graphic designer, but learn the tools of the new media trade.
Reply:New Media art is art the utilizes computers and technology not normally used in or artistic media.

flower power

No comments:

Post a Comment